An easy crepe recipe makes it fun to start cooking with your kids!
Crepes are a family favorite in our house. My kids love to eat them hot off the pan, but they can easily be made ahead to save time on busy mornings. They are also super flexible. They can be featured at breakfast with warm cinnamon apples or Homemade Nutella, or lunch with egg, ham, and cheese, or dinner with mushrooms and chives. Sweet or savory they are delicious. Most important, they are great fun to cook with your kids.
Whole Wheat Crepes
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
1 cup whole wheat all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
1¾ cups nonfat milk
3 large eggs, beaten
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
Fresh fruit, Greek yogurt, honey, or Homemade Nutella, for serving
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and salt.
2. In a separate large bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, and melted butter.
3. Working in small batches, add the egg mixture to the flour mixture, stirring gently.
4. Warm a small frying pan over medium heat. Lightly spray with oil. Add ¼ cup of the batter, swirling quickly to evenly coat the pan with a thin layer of batter. Work with two pans to speed things up and avoid fights over who gets to swirl the batter!
5. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the underside of the crepe is golden brown. Flip the crepe and cook for 2 minutes more.
6. Serve warm, with fresh fruit, a dollop of Greek yogurt, and a drizzle of honey, real maple syrup, or Homemade Nutella.
Tip: Instead of fruit and yogurt, add a fried egg, slice of ham, and a sprinkle of mozzarella and turn these breakfast crepes into lunch. Or tuck mushrooms and chives inside, and pair with Crispy Sweet Potato Fries and Roasted Brussels Sprouts Chips for a quick and easy dinner.