DIY STREET TACOS WITH CRISPY QUINOA
Back-to-school is here, which means our calendar is overloaded with activities: get-to-know-you nights, sports practices, school coffees, playdates, and (sometimes) homework. The pace is always overwhelming. So this year, to help us all get ahead of the game, I’ve decided to round up my favorite fast and easy dinner ideas to help get healthy foods on the table without a huge hassle. Street tacos are a great place to start.
Taco night is one of my top fast and easy dinner ideas. When you’re tight on time, there’s a lot that a rotisserie chicken and some chopped veggies can do! To easily make this vegan, add an additional cup of charred corn and chopped tomatoes to substitute for the chicken.
The variety of colors make this dinner super appealing for kids. Remember: kids eat with their eyes first, so keep it colorful and playful! Serve up your taco bar with a variety of veggies, some familiar and some not, and encourage your kids to try something new. Picky eaters will appreciate seeing familiar favorites on the table so they have a safe jumping off point.
Tip: Invite your kids to make two tacos, one for themselves and one to share. Then trade. That way everyone gets a taste of something new.
Get creative with the toppings. Our current favorites are Crispy Quinoa and Homemade Guacamole. Let your kids do some experimenting.
If you can’t find small soft taco shells at your local market, use a Thermos or round lunch container to cut larger taco shells down to street taco size. Perfect for little hands.
DIY Street Tacos
The secret to making these street tacos sing is to pack the table with vibrant colors! Radicchio, tomatoes, corn, and lettuces are a great place to start. If you’re up for a little bit of cooking, the Crispy Quinoa topping takes these tacos over the top.
Ingredients for DIY Street Tacos
12oz shredded rotisserie chicken
8 soft corn tortillas, small size
1 cup radicchio, shredded
1 cup iceberg lettuce, shredded
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1 cup corn, slightly charred
1/2 cup guacamole
1/2 cup Crispy Quinoa
Lime wedges for serving
NOTE: To make this recipe vegan, substitute 1 cup charred corn and 1 cup chopped tomato for the shredded chicken
Directions for DIY Street Tacos
1. Heat a medium frying pan over medium heat, add the tortillas and warm until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Flip to warm the other side. Serve immediately.
2. Arrange the ingredients, including the Crispy Quinoa, in small bowls. Place the warmed tortillas on a small plate.
3. Encourage freestyle taco making!
Hopefully, you’ll have many happy campers at your taco table.
- 12oz shredded rotisserie chicken
- 8 soft corn tortillas, small size
- 1 cup radicchio, shredded
- 1 cup iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup corn, slightly charred
- ½ cup guacamole
- ½ cup Crispy Quinoa (see recipe)
- Lime wedges for serving
- Heat a medium frying pan over medium heat, add the tortillas and warm until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Flip to warm the other side. Serve immediately.
- Arrange the ingredients, including the Crispy Quinoa, in small bowls. Place the warmed tortillas on a small plate.
- Encourage freestyle taco making!