One of my go-to healthy lunch ideas is Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup.
My kids love a hot lunch. This recipe for Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup is an easy way for me to send a cozy meal that I know they’ll enjoy. When packing soup, only fill the thermos part way to the top with liquid to avoid spills.
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Ingredients for Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup:
1 ¼ to 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
½ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup onions, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
4 cups chicken broth
1 bay leaf
1 cup dry pasta (macaroni or rotini work best)
Directions for Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup:
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Whisk together 3 tablespoons of olive oil, the mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl. Toss the chicken in the mixture until well coated. Spread out on the lined baking sheet as flat as possible and roast 23-25 minutes, until cooked through. When done, remove from the oven and let rest 2 minutes. Then chop into 1-inch pieces and set aside. Reserve any cooking juices.
Tip: If you’re in a pinch, use a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken and skip to Step 3.
3. Heat a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and then the onions and cook gently for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the onions are translucent. Add the carrots and celery and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more, or until the vegetables begin to soften.
4. Add the broth, 1 cup water, and the bay leaf. Cover and bring to a boil. Add the pasta, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 8 minutes, or until the pasta is almost cooked.
5. Add the chicken to the pot and simmer for 2 minutes more.
6. Season to taste with salt and pepper.