Let’s make it cool to drink water!
Color makes food fun! Guess what happens when you add color to your water? Bingo! Loads more fun, and plenty of requests to drink water. Here’s idea #1 on our list of 100 Ways to Hydrate: Color Coolers!
Directions for Drink Water Idea #1: Color Coolers
1. Wash and chop three different colors of fruit. We used strawberries, blueberries and mango. Use whatever your kids find at the market.
2. Add a few pieces of fruit to each cube in an ice tray. Fill with water and place the tray in the freezer for a couple of hours, until the cubes are frozen solid.
3. Serve with water, a sprig of fresh mint, and a fun straw.
I’m on a mission to make it fun to drink water and I need your help!
Let’s build a list of 100 Ways to Hydrate. Add your comments, link to ideas you love, share pictures and tips from your family table on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest or Instagram. Help us get to 100 fun and easy ideas for how to hydrate! Here’s a few ideas to get us started:
- Crush it! Crush ice in a blender and add a splash of fresh squeezed lemon or lime juice. Eat with a spoon.
- Provide easy access. Keep a big pitcher of water on the kitchen table, with small cups, to encourage kids to hydrate throughout the day.
- Track it! Keep a tally of how many ounces you drink each day. Set a family goal and race to the finish.
- Tote it! Make water-bottle covers out of duct tape.
- Eat it! Watermelon is mostly water (over 90%) and is a fun and easy way to eat to hydrate.
- A fresh NEW idea from Nicole Nokes Taylor, “Maybe not for everyone, but I LOVE seltzer and white balsamic vinegar in a fruity flavor. Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it. SO good!”
- From Grace Miller, “Water with strawberries in it is really good! At a hotel I went to, they served it with fresh strawberries in a large cooler with a nozzle every day and everyone drank it. It gives it a taste like juice without the added sugar”
- Another easy idea from Danielle Flug Capalino MSPH, RD “Cute water bottle, infused h20.” Our current favorite waterbottle comes from KOR.
- “We LOVE mock mojitos! Mint from the garden. Sweeten with agave.”
A mother of two, Jennifer Tyler Lee is the author of The 52 New Foods Challenge (Penguin Random House/Avery 2014) and the creator of the award-winning healthy eating game, Crunch a Color®. Her family cooking adventures have been featured at Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution, Rachael Ray’s Yum-O!, Laurie David’s Family Dinner, Pottery Barn Kids, and Whole Foods Markets. She is a featured blogger at The Huffington Post.