A quick and easy rugelach recipe.
This is my favorite new cookie recipe. Inspired by my son’s mission to go refined sugar free, this quick and easy rugelach recipe is part of a new series of simple, delicious recipes I’m creating to satisfy his sweet tooth without added sugar.
Naturally sweet strawberry jam, toasted walnuts, and dried currants are all rolled up in a simple pastry to create a quick and easy sugar free cookie.
The beauty of this recipe is how easy it is. The trick is the premade pastry rounds. I keep a stash of these in my freezer for when a sweet craving hits.
Spread the jam on the pastry.
Add walnuts, dried currants, and a dash of cinnamon.
Cut into slices, just like a pizza.
Roll the slices.
Brush with a little egg wash.
Add a little more cinnamon.
Bake and then enjoy!
- 1 9” premade pastry crust*
- ⅓ cup no sugar added strawberry jam
- ¼ cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon dried currants
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more for dusting
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat liner.
- Place the pastry crust on a floured wooden cutting board, then spread the jam evenly onto the crust. Sprinkle with the walnuts, currants, and cinnamon.
- Cut the pastry round into 16 equal slices. Roll each cookie starting from the wide side of the triangle. Place the cookies with the tips down on the lined baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, beat together the egg and the water.
- Using a pastry brush, add a little bit of egg wash to the top of each cookie. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake for 22 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cool completely, then serve.